Ahhh ’tis the season for heirloom tomatoes! These fancy tomatoes can accompany a beautiful, gourmet meal or star in a refreshingly light and crisp salad.
We let the heirloom tomatoes steal the show in this simple & fresh recipe – but don’t overlook a couple notes from Chef Bradley:
“This dish is fabulous with or without the basil oil. If you don’t have a high speed blender – no problem, just drizzle with a little more oil. Make sure the tomatoes are ripe and full of their natural sugars”
When we took this photo, I sampled a bite and walked away. The combination of flavors was incredibly fresh! After taking a few steps, I turned around a moment later and that small sample bite turned into my lunch! I nearly clear the plate! YUM ~ enjoy!
- ½ cup smooth ricotta
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2-3 mixed heirloom tomatoes
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp. basil oil – see recipe
- Combine ricotta and olive oil; blend until smooth. Spread on plates or serving platter
- Slice tomatoes and arrange over ricotta
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle basil oil over the top
- ½ cup tightly packed fresh basil – no stems
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh parsley – no stems
- 1 cup canola or olive oil
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water
- Blanch basil and parsley in boiling water for 2-3 seconds and immediately remove to ice water to cool.
- Allow to cool thoroughly and drain well
- Chop basil and parsley, place in towel or cloth napkin and rinse several times under cold water. Drain well and repeat.
- Combine drained basil and parsley with oil in a HIGH SPEED blender, cover and blend for several minutes until the oil is slightly warm.
- Drain thru a coffee filter to remove leaves; hold for service